~~This Time It's Different by Evans Blue~~

Language Barriers?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

~~Long Distance: A Mind Reading Story~~

Echoes
So faint
But growing stronger
They reach my mind
My eyes
Snap
Open
The voice
The words
The touch of sorrow
And the tender
Soft
Eternal affection

"You're alive...."
I whisper

Aloud
Scarce daring
To believe
"You....You're alive!"
I scream, and
Form my thoughts
Into a message
A howl
A prayer
A begging cry:
"Alyssa!"
A swift
Split
Second
Of pure silence
Then
A cry
A greeting
A smile
A laugh
"David!"
Her voice
Strengthens
I clutch the bed
Establishing
The connection
Her mind fumbles
A tendril
Sent into mine
I grasp it
Clench it in
My mind's grasp
The connection
Establishes and grows
Becomes strong
Our voices laugh
"Where were you?"
I cry, curiosity
And worry
Flooding the voice
Of my mind
Her mind baulks
Reels
Sifts
I can feel he
Searching for
An answer
Eventually she says
Ever so softly:
"I took it."
My entire mind
Flinches
In horror
Shame
Anger
And fear
"You took the Cure?
"So you couldn't read minds?"
I sense her nod
"David...."
I close my eyes, tug
At the connection
Ensnaring her
In my mind
She flinches
I do not let go
"David, I had to
"I couldn't take
"Being so connected..."

"But don't you love me?"
I say softly

"I thought I was
"Your soul mate."
She ignores my words

And replies with:
"I...I have someone else."
A part of me snaps

Shatters
Redness
Red like blood
Flows from me
Into her
I hear her
Whimper
The redness
Burns
Sears our
Vision
Floods us with agony
"Who?" I ask
Forcing away the red
"Her name's Lacy."
I freeze. Burn.
Blackness floods me
My veins
I snap the connection
Protecting her
From the cold anger
When it dissipates
I go back
Connect to her mind again
"Where does this Lacy live?"
A brief silence
A restless shift
"In my home town."
She says finally
"I'm the country beside yours."
I reply harshly
"I've been saving up
"For two years
"To move in with you."
I continue, hate
Starting to boil
In my voice
Mind
Heart

She flinches
Sensing all of it

"You can't come here, David."
"Why not?"
"I've changed and...
"And I don't love you."
The words she speaks
Oh how they sear
The skin!
How they burn
My mind!

"How long...?"
I ask shakily

"How long has this
"Been kept from me?"
"I took the Cure
"When she first

"Kissed me."
I close my eyes

"So longer than six months."
I sense her nod again
"I'm sorry, David...."
"No, don't apologize."
"But.."
"No."
I break the connection
Collapse into the bed
And send a soft tendril
Into Jane's bed
Who reads
A few buildings away:
"The answer's yes."
I close my eyes
Let the connection drift
Lose purchase
I fall asleep
With a soft smile
On my lips.

No comments: