~~This Time It's Different by Evans Blue~~

Language Barriers?

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Internet's Insanity

Perhaps I'll just vent for a time. On the internet. That might improve my day. Whoops, gave a vague clue to my real life. Said I wouldn't do that.

I've been thinking a lot recently about the internet. About the people we meet. About the relationships  we forge upon it.

I've been involved in one online-only long-distance relationship, and I've been a sorrowful and hopeful witness to many others. On the internet, there is a possibility to love someone on it. I fell for someone without ever knowing his name or his face. Luckily, he wasn't a creepy old guy when we eventually saw pictures of each other. Not saying he was cute, but he wasn't bad.

Erm.....Bit personal, don't'cha think? Shouldn't'a written that. Ah, well, kiddies, not gonna take it down. Or hit the backspace button. xP

Oh, I almost forgot! *Laughs and smiles.* I have a tendency to RP. Which is amusing me. I am, admittedly, rather odd. Ah, well. It makes things on the internet seem much more real. And it's also a lot more fun. You'd be surprised at the things you can do using only the internet.

*Refuses to go into that.*

*Snickers.*

So things on the internet.....Is it possible to have relationships on the internet only? Feelings? Emotions? Is anything on here really...real?

My online boyfriend, when we were dating, asked me what part of the conversation wasn't real. He said, "Feel the wind on your face? See the stars? Feel my hand on your arm? What isn't real?"

Because I was unwilling to hurt him, I replied, "Everything is real enough for me."

Then he asked, "Hear my voice? None is required to convey a message."

A message.

That stung.

I think it is possible to have real relationships, real feelings, for people solely online. It is possible, and it is possible for it to work. I would have willingly walked the 751 km that lay between us, hitch hiked whenever possible, and lived on the streets until I found him simply because I knew he would be waiting on the other end. It is possible for things online to work, and things online are real.

But, in the end, if it comes to a choice between an online love and a real life one, choose the real life.

I know that sounds cold, but I've been hurt so many times and seen so many hurt as we try to make that choice, and I don't have any regrets when I tell you that I have sworn off online relationships. Never again. I loved him, I truly did, but the fact is online is not real enough.

You can't kiss them.

You can't touch them.

You can only hear their laughter on webcams or on phones--if you're lucky enough to even have that.

You can't even hold their hand.

He asked me why I was set so much on the physical part of a relationship, and inside I said to myself: "Because it's the only part you can't give me."

In reality, I typed, "I'm not as set on that part anymore. This is enough. *Kisses you.*"

What a lie.

It's your choice whether to pursue an online relationship or not. They can work, and there's something about an online relationship that seems...better. It's only based on looks if you can see pics of them, and if you choose a non-dating or social site like Facebook, you won't ever know them beyond their words. And sometimes those are golden enough for you to fall in love with.

Online, there is also a certain freedom. There used to be for me, at least. Until I became too well-known. Too cared about.

Online for most, there's a feeling of strength and power. Because nobody knows who you are and nobody knows your name and nobody cares about you. You can do whatever you want. Say whatever you want. Be whatever you want. You may never know anyone that you talk to online in real life, so who cares what they think of you?

And it's very easy to be cruel.

Why?

Because, in the end, it's only words on the screen that you're typing.

You're not actually saying them. You're just typing.

So, all in all, I think that's all for now on the Internet's Insanity.

And to my follower(s), I salute you!

No comments: